About me and my research
I have a PhD from Theme Environment (previously Theme Water) at Linköping University (2003). My doctoral project focused on the critical load concept as a boundary object in the development of national and international air pollution regulation during the 1980s and 90s. Today my research is increasingly focusing on environmental dilemmas in the urban context mainly the relation between blue green structures and the rest of the built areas in the context of strategic spatial planning and human wellbeing. But I am also involved in projects covering climate adaptation of cultural heritage, coping strategies in an increasingly hot climate, biodiversity and cultural ecosystem services in agriculture, PFAS pollution of drinking water – risk management and communication, public procurement and the reduction of CO2 emissions in the infrastructure and construction sectors.
If there is a need to place myself in relation to scientific disciplines, I would situate myself in the cross road between, environmental resource management, political science – public administration, law and society studies and the social studies of science and technology.
Three interrelated research areas
My research cover despite the large divergence in envrionmental topics three interrelated reserach areas. These areas relate to three trends in today's environmental policy regimes the; Intensified use of experts and aggregated science in the form of ICT technologies models and interfaces as a tool to articulate what the "problem" is and how it should be resolved. Increased demand for active stakeholder participation to reduce environmental problems and create adaptive management structures to handle wicked problems; Enlarged need to understand the relations and non-relations between different administrative scales and an urge to develop new institutional structure to fulfil national and global environmental and sustainable development goals.
- The role of, science and especially computer based tools such as models and assessment tools, within the paradigm of “evidence-based” policy making
- Participatory processes and social change including participatory design as a mean to promote processed based environmental management
- The interaction between rules, norms at different regulatory scales to manage environment problems
Interaction with stakeholders
My projects are always stakeholder related and the research processes are often designed, performed and disseminated in close interaction with stakeholders and policy makers at local, national and international level. Research has been and conducted in close contact with for example:
- EU Commission, DG environment DG agriculture DG research, DG Regio and DG Eco fin.
- Ministries and national agencies related to the Environment in Sweden, England and Turkey.
- Lobbyists and other pan European organizations focusing on agricultural Politics and Climate change.
- European Platform for Biodiversity Research Strategy
- County Administrative Boards in the region of Skåne, Kalmar and Kronoberg
- Municipalities in Sweden, France, England and Turkey
- Business: Riksbyggen, Kraftringen, Skanska, EON
- Consultants: COWI, WSP
- Local organistions: Water councils, Hållbar Utveckling Skåne
Most of my research has been undertaken in a multi- or transdisciplinary context. I have cooperated with scientist from most of the social and natural sciences, engineers and researchers from the medical disciplines as well as law.
Displaying of publications. Sorted by year, then title.
Procurement for Sustainable Innovation in the Built Environment ProcSIBE subproject IMPRES
Implementation of Procurement Requirements for Sustainable Collaboration in Infrastructure project IMPRES constructionclimatechallenge.com/research/impres-project
Nature-based solutions for urban challenges Urban Nature
Translating climate service information into personalized adaptation strategies to cope with thermal climate stress ClimApp
SusTaining AgriCultural ChAnge Through ecological engineering and Optimal use of natural resources STACCATO
Public speaches and lectures
Hur kunde PFAS-skandalen i Ronneby hända? Nationella Dricksvattenkonferensen 2017.
Watch lecture in Swedish on urskola.se
How to communicate with farmers – mainstreaming ecosystem services in agricultural production.
Watch on youtube.com
Framtidens miljömålsarbete. Länstyrelsens Miljömålsdagar 2017.
Watch in Swedish on youtube.com
Giftkonferensen i Eslöv 2017.
Watch on eslov.se