Applying for funding
Welcome to the CEC guide for funding applications to external and internal funders. Here you find information about the CEC's internal process - who you need to contact, when and why - along with information on open calls and opportunities, and links to funders and support pages.
When you apply for research funding or other funding that is to be placed in full or in part at the CEC, you must get an approval from the CEC's director before the application is submitted. This applies to all project applications to all funders all year round, including BECC and MERGE calls for funding, when you are MAIN APPLICANT. This is to make sure that CEC can host your project and to address issues that in some cases may arise, for example funders not covering full overhead or require other kinds of co-funding, or ensuring that it is possible to match the time period of the suggested project with employment laws and regulations if you are on a fixed term employment contract.
Documents required are:
- A completed "checklist" (bullet points) which is sent to CEC's research coordinator (1-3 weeks before call deadline, see details in the link):
Link to CEC Checklist on lu.se
- A completed full-cost application which is sent to CEC's finance officer (3 days before deadline, details in link):
Link to CEC Full cost application on lu.se
Support to funding applications
CEC provides support before, during and after the application phase:
- In the page Funding opportunities we have collected links to funders, and a News-section where we post open calls and opportunities. The page is found in the left margin or via this link:
Link to Funding opportunities on cec.lu.se
- CEC provides general assistance to researchers applying for external grants which contribute to integrated environmental and climate research. The support can be in kind and financial, and is provided within the network CEC Fellows. More information in this link:
Link to Support to research applications on cec.lu.se
- In the Horizon Europe Support page you find a News-section with information on call drafts and and events connected to HEU applications, and a compilation of support avalible for researchers connected to CEC, CEC Fellows, BECC, MERGE and LU Land. The page is found in the left margin or via this link:
Link to EU funding support page on cec.lu.se
Improve your tools for funding applications with a course:
A logical start of an academic career - getting that external funding (for early career researchers)
What is overhead and how does it work (approx. 30 min)
Access these and other courses through the Professional and Career development Portal (Kompetensportalen) at LU. There are also courses in Career planning, Time management, Academic writing - from procrastination to flow, Creating an elevator pitch, or why not an intensive course in Danish.