My research is directed towards the practical implementation of normative theories for decision making under uncertainty. I take inspiration from the management of environmental systems given the current state of knowledge (includig the lack thereof).
Uncertainty and Evidence Lab (UnEviL)
This research group focus on the management of uncertainty and evidence in risk analysis, evidence synthesis, decision analysis and, never the least, predictive sciences. This include discussing and applying principles and methods for learning, forecasting and decision analysis under different strengths in knowledge. We seek to apply the principles and methods on conceptual and actual problems and we are not limited to a specific application.
- Environmental decision making
- Process-based modelling
- Decision making under uncertainty
- Bayesian analysis and its generalisation
• Ecosystem services in agricultural landscapes • Invasive species • Chemical safety • System safety and reliability • Litter
I am together with Scott Ferson searching for a candidate for a PhD on big but bad data at the Institute for Risk and Uncertainty at the Univeristy of Liverpool. The call is here together with other PhD projects. Final date to apply is January 26th !
Work interacting with stakeholders
I am looking for persons interested in testing a game for uncertainty that is currently in development.
This is where you can download the risk analysis of signal crayfish report
Pollinera Sverige - Swedish pollination network • Independent expert in the MUST-B working group at EFSA • Risk analysis on the signal crayfish for the Swedish Water Agency • Past president of the Nordic Chapter of the Society for Risk Analysis • Pollinatören - an action group to deal with honey bees in Sweden • Understanding and controlling litter by understanding thrown gum in urban areas (pilot) • Samverkan för god bihälsa
Work on promoting Bayesian methods in research - annual mini conference Bayes@Lund
Visit my blog Environmental Evidence Synthesis
2017 - Research group Uncertainty and Evidence Lab
2015 - 2017 President of the Nordic Chapter of Society for Risk Analysis
2014 - 2018 Scaling up uncertain environmental evidence - Quality assurance in ecosystem service predictions (FORMAS project)
2014 Quality in knowledge - BECC action group
2012 - 2013 Towards decision making under uncertainty as part of PLANFISH.
2012 QSAR-integrated hazard and risk assessment, workpackage leader EU-project CADASTER.
2016 and 2017 Matthias Troffaes, Durham University, UK
2015 John-Paul Gosling at University of Leeds, UK.
As a postdoc I made the following visits:
2012-2014 Postdoc in economic-ecological modelling at Lund university Centre of Environmental and Climate research in SAPES research environment and EU-project Liberation.
2012-2013 Prof Hugh Possingham and Environmental Decision Group at University of Queensland, Australia (three months)
2010-2012 Linneaus University, Sweden. in the EU-project CADASTER on the quantification of uncertainty in QSARs for chemical regulation under REACH.
I also got inspiration from here:
Terje Aven, University of Stavanger
CSIRO, Hobart, Keith Hayes PhD, October – February 2006-07
Feb 2013 Terry Walsh at Australian Centre of Excellence for Risk Analysis (ACERA) at University of Melbourne, Australia.
- SRA Nordic chapter conference Finland Nov 2-3
- BayesDays at Liverpool (I will give a tutorial on Quantifying uncertainty using data and experts see program)
- SRA Europe Lissbon, Portugal 19-21 June
- The Cambridge Risk and Uncertainty (RUC) Conference June 12-14th
- Bayes@Lund2017 - for the 4th time on April 19th and 20th Twitter #bayeslund17
- The Annual meeting of the Swedish Professional Beekepers, Nyköping 2017
- SRA, San Diego, USA, December 2016 - uncertainty according to EFSA & what is robustness to uncertainty
- ESREL Glasgow, UK, 25-29 September 2016 - paper on small data and conflicting information
- SRA Nordic, Göteborg, Sweden, 14-15 November 2016 - the new SRA glossary
- First International Conference of the Collaboration for Environmental Evidence, Stockholm, Sweden, 25-27th August, 2016
- SRA Europe Bath, UK, 20-22nd June, 2016 - presentation on small data and statistics
- Bayes@Lund2016 Feb 5th, Lund, Sweden. - what do we mean by evidence really?
- SRA Nordic chapter conference Lund 16 - 17 November
- ESREL 2015 7-10 September 2015
- WPMSIIP 8th Workshop on Principles and Methods of Statistical Inference with Interval Probability, Munich Sept 5th 2015.
- SETAC Europe 25th Annual Meeting in Barcelona, Spain, 3 - 7 May 2015, Julia held an excellent presenation of what we call Information Quality Impact Analysis
- The European Climate Change Adaptation Conference (ECCA) 2015 12-14 May. Poster “Who decides the treatment of knowledge-based uncertainty – decision makers, assessors or the epistemic situation?”
- SRA Europe Maastricht 15-17 June 2015 - The Nordic Chapter under SRA Europe is now up an running.
Education and awards
I have a Master of Science in Mathematics with a major in Mathematical Statistics, Lund University 2003. My Master thesis "Analysis of forest field data with a spatial approach" was awarded Sparbanksstiftelsen Skåne Nova scholarship on 25 000 SEK 2004. I also have a Master of Science in Forestry with a major in Forest management, Swedish Agricultural and Forest University, 2000. My master thesis "Modelling spatial variability in low temperature at a landscape level" was awarded Arvid Lindman scholarship on 25 000 SEK in 2001.
2010 I defended my PhD thesis From data to decision - learning by probabilistic risk analysis of biological invasions. Prof Hugh Possingham was my opponent.
I received the Richard J. Burk Outstanding Service Award from the Society for Risk Analysis 2016.
Appointed Docent in Environmental Science at Lund university June 2017. The Swedish title Docent corresponds to Assciate Professor in the US or Reader in the UK. Here is a link to my docenture lecture.
Visiting PhD students
Indrani Govendor, Durban University of Technology, Durban, South Africa - Oct 2016 to April 2017
Current PhD students
Jan Blanke, Maria Blasi, Ivette Raices-Cruz (main supervisor)
Former PhD students
Sarfraz Iqbal 2013 Environmental modelling and uncertainty (main supervisor during Feb 2012- Feb 2013)
For master students
I supervise projects for master students from e.g. Environmental, Computer or Information Sciences, Mathematical Statistics or Risk Management.
Graduate course in Risk, Uncertainty and Decision making, NAMV002, ClimBeco/LUCID, October-November 2016. NEXT PLANNED FOR FALL 2018
Environmental risk assessment on the course Foundations for Risk Assessment and Management. LTH, Lund October 2016. (Lecture)
Seventh school of the Society for Imprecise Probability: Theories and Applications (SIPTA), Aug 29 - Sep 2, 2016, Durham, UK.
Bayesian Analysis and Decision Theory NAMV001 - As a summer school August-September 2015. SECOND VERSION SPRING 2018
Environmental risk analysis at Lund University MVEC12 (Lectures and assignments) TEACHING STUDENTS ABOUT QUANTIFYING UNCERTAINTY
Applied Ecotoxicology LU BIOR52 (Lectures)
Retrieved from Lund University's publications database
- A model to account for data dependency when estimating floral cover in different land use types over a season
- A note on EFSA’s ongoing efforts to increase transparency of uncertainty in scientific opinions
- Assessing the impact of changes in land-use intensity and climate on simulated trade-offs between crop yield and nitrogen leaching
- Pollinator population size and pollination ecosystem service responses to enhancing floral and nesting resources
- Riskanalys av signalkräfta i Sverige : CEC Rapport Nr 04
- Small data and conflicting information
- Assessment of uncertainty in chemical models by Bayesian probabilities: Why, when, how?
- Evaluating the impact of climate change on the risk assessment of Nuclear Power Plants
- Invasive plant species in the Swedish flora: developing criteria and definitions, and assessing the invasiveness of individual taxa
- What type of uncertainty is robustness referring to in Information Gap Decision Theory?
- Arguments for considering uncertainty in QSAR predictions in hazard and risk assessments.
- The quality of the outdoor environment influences children's health. -A cross-sectional study of preschools.
- Uncertainty in QSAR predictions.
- Understanding quantitative structure-property relationships uncertainty in environmental fate modeling
Member of advanced study group: Values, decision making and risk – current perspectives and future research
Member of advanced study group: Quantifying and Communicating Uncertainty: Challenges and Opportunities