I am an Associate Professor of Environmental Science at Lund University. I do research on the quantification and communication of uncertainty in scientific assessments and how uncertainty can be considered in decision making, in particular in the context of management of environmental systems under varying strengths in knowledge.
I am looking for a postdoc to work on the characterisation of uncertainty in future risk assessments with applications to human health risk assessment. Please apply if you are interested in studying the quantification of uncertainty using subjective probability and the uptake of Bayesian reasoning in scientific assessment and integrated modelling in practice. https://lu.varbi.com/se/what:job/jobID:541436/
Uncertainty and Evidence Lab (UnEviL)
My research group focuses on the management of uncertainty and evidence in scientific assessment (risk assessment combined with evidence synthesis) and decision analysis. We discuss the principles and methods on conceptual and actual problems and we are not limited to a specific application.
- Uncertainty in scientific assessment
- Decision making under uncertainty
- Subjective probability and beyond
- New perspectives on Bayesian inference and modeling
- Biodiversity and ecologic-economic modeling
- Models for assessing chemical safety
- Ecosystem services in agricultural landscapes
- Species conservation
- Invasive species
- Food safety
- Chemical safety
- Honey bee health
2015–2017, 2021 - President of the Nordic Chapter of the Society for Risk Analysis
2021 Member of LU Futura (representing the Natural Science Faculty)
2018 – 2021 President of the Swedish Society for Risk Sciences (Riskkollegiet)
2017– Research group leader Uncertainty and Evidence Lab
Uncertainty and Evidence Lab
2016 BECC action group: Evidence relying on simulation models and expert judgment.
About the project on portal.research.lu.se
2014–2018 Scaling up uncertain environmental evidence – Quality assurance in ecosystem service predictions (FORMAS project)
2015 STAKE Practices and barriers of stakeholder interaction – challenges for research projects
About the study at becc.lu.se
2014 Quality in knowledge – BECC action group
Education and awards
I have a Master of Science in Mathematics with a major in Mathematical Statistics, Lund University 2003. My Master thesis "Analysis of forest field data with a spatial approach" was awarded Sparbanksstiftelsen Skåne Nova scholarship of 25,000 SEK 2004.
I also have a Master of Science in Forestry with a major in Forest Management, Swedish Agricultural and Forest University, 2000. My master thesis "Modelling spatial variability in low temperature at a landscape level" was awarded Arvid Lindman scholarship of 25,000 SEK in 2001.
2010 I defended my PhD thesis From data to decision – learning by probabilistic risk analysis of biological invasions. Prof Hugh Possingham was my opponent.
Award in the images of risk competition at ESREL 2016 of my image "The probability of a unique event".
Photo at evidence.blogg.lu.se
I received the Richard J. Burk Outstanding Service Award from the Society for Risk Analysis 2016.
Appointed Docent in Environmental Science at Lund University in June 2017.
Current PhD students
Dmytro Perepolkin (main supervisor), Vladimir Stepanov (Liverpool University, UK)
Visiting PhD students
Indrani Govender, Durban University of Technology, Durban, South Africa – Oct 2016 to April 2017
Former PhD students
Per Gustavsson, 2022
Ivette Raices-Cruz, 2021 (main supervisor)
Maria Blasi Romero, 2021
Jan Blanke, 2017
Sarfraz Iqbal, 2013 (main supervisor 2012 - 2013)
Niklas Vareman (2016–2017), Charlotte Baey (2016–2018), Jessica Knapp (2019-2020), Charlie Nicholson (2021-)
Methods and Analysis MVEN13 Fall 2022
Introduction to biostatistics MASB11 Spring 2022
Bayesian Analysis and Decision Theory Spring 2022
Future-Oriented Methodologies TBD
Sustainable Land Use Agenda2030 Spring 2021
Risk, Uncertainty and Decision making TBD
Displaying of publications. Sorted by year, then title.
Read more on evidence.blogg.lu.se
- SETAC Copenhagen May 2022 - we have a session about Expert Knowledge Elicitation
- Nordic chapter Bergen 2022
- SRA US ?
- NBBC21 June 2021
- Society for Risk Analysis US 2020
- SETAC North America 2020
- Nordic chapter Risk Conference Kaunas November 5-6 2020
- SETAC Dublin 2020
- Nordic Chapter Risk Conference Copenhagen Nov 7-8
- ESREL2019 Hannover
- RISKUT 2019 - a conference about teaching risk (organiser)
- Computer Aided Drug Design (CADD) GORDON research conference Vermont 2019 - I gave a talk about uncertainty in individual predictions
- Society for Imprecise Probability SIPTA July Belgium
- Bayes@Lund2019 7 May (organiser)
- SETAC 2019 - Helsinki
- Joint EFSA/BfR International Conference on Uncertainty in Risk Analysis Feb 21-22 2019
- SRA Nordic chapter Stavanger Nov 8-9 - I gave a tutorial here
- EFSA Conference Sept 18-21
- SRA Europe Östersund - June 2018
- Bayes@2018 - April 12th 2018
- CEE in Paris April
- SRA Nordic chapter conference Finland Nov 2-3
- BayesDays at Liverpool (I will give a tutorial on Quantifying uncertainty using data and experts see program)
- SRA Europe Lissbon, Portugal 19-21 June
- The Cambridge Risk and Uncertainty (RUC) Conference June 12-14th
- Bayes@Lund2017 - for the 4th time on April 19th and 20th Twitter #bayeslund17
- The Annual meeting of the Swedish Professional Beekepers, Nyköping 2017
- SRA, San Diego, USA, December 2016 - uncertainty according to EFSA & what is robustness to uncertainty
- ESREL Glasgow, UK, 25-29 September 2016 - paper on small data and conflicting information
- SRA Nordic, Göteborg, Sweden, 14-15 November 2016 - the new SRA glossary
- First International Conference of the Collaboration for Environmental Evidence, Stockholm, Sweden, 25-27th August, 2016
- SRA Europe Bath, UK, 20-22nd June, 2016 - presentation on small data and statistics
- Bayes@Lund2016 Feb 5th, Lund, Sweden. - what do we mean by evidence really?
- SRA Nordic chapter conference Lund 16 - 17 November
- ESREL 2015 7-10 September 2015
- WPMSIIP 8th Workshop on Principles and Methods of Statistical Inference with Interval Probability, Munich Sept 5th 2015.
- SETAC Europe 25th Annual Meeting in Barcelona, Spain, 3 - 7 May 2015, Julia held an excellent presenation of what we call Information Quality Impact Analysis
- The European Climate Change Adaptation Conference (ECCA) 2015 12-14 May. Poster “Who decides the treatment of knowledge-based uncertainty – decision makers, assessors or the epistemic situation?”
- SRA Europe Maastricht 15-17 June 2015 - The Nordic Chapter under SRA Europe is now up an running.
Workshops - Sahlin
Bayes@Lund Fall 2022 seminar series
2021 Annual online meeting of Society for Risk Analysis Europe Nordic Chapter- Comparative research in the Baltic-Nordic region
The Need for Social Science in Radon Risk Communication April 2021, Pufendorf seminar
Uncertainty analysis in predictive assessments Nov 2020
Evidence synthesis Nov 2019
BayesDays Liverpool October 21-22 2019
Quantifying uncertainty by precise and bounded probability. Liverpool January 2019, Berlin February 22nd 2019
Uncertainty in scientific assessments South Africa Workshop Durban January 2019
Stakeholders - Sahlin
Work interacting with stakeholders
The European Food Safety Authority - member of the cross cutting working group on uncertainty (from nov 2019)
The Swedish Board of Agriculture - Indices for biodiversity in grasslands
A report on data collection and analysis of winter loss in Sweden is finished as part of the project Samverkan för god bihälsa.
The project Gaming for better decisions under uncertainty is finished.
This is where you can download the risk analysis of signal crayfish report
Pollinera Sverige - Swedish pollination network
Independent expert in the MUST-B working group at EFSA
Risk analysis on the signal crayfish for the Swedish Water Agency
Work on promoting Bayesian methods in research - annual mini conference Bayes@Lund