19 May 2022
Sustainability Forum would like to highlight that it was a great pleasure co-hosting the LU research conference Knowledge for Sustainable Development this Monday! The day showcased the great breadth of sustainability research within the University, a fantastic opportunity to get to know existing and emerging research streams. We would like to thank all personnel participating and contributing to an inspiring day, especially the administrative staff making this day possible!
If you still haven’t registered for the Swedish Climate Symposium, 16-18 May, you can still do so and participate online (in some parts). The Swedish Climate Symposium is a new national scientific conference aiming to highlight the specialization and breadth of Swedish climate research, as well as offering an opportunity for exchange of knowledge and experiences, both within academia and with wider society. The symposium is organized by MERGE, BECC, SMHI and the Bolin Centre for Climate Research.
Read more and register no later than 11 May on the conference website - swedishclimatesymposium.com
The annual staff appraisals that normally take place in June, will be conducted during the autumn of 2022. This is due to that the dates of the salary review process have not been agreed upon by LU and the employee organisations. We will let you know when there is more information. If you have any questions, please contact your line manager.
More information on the LU Staff pages- staff.lu.se
CEC BBQ – Don’t forget to register
On 24 May you are invited to the CEC BBQ outside the Ecology building. Invitation is attached, remember to register before Tuesday, 17 May.
Register for the BBQ – cec.lu.se
Closing of the Ecology building 1 June - 31 August 2022
With less than one month left before the part of the Ecology building where the CECs offices are located is closed for reconstruction work 1 June – 31 August, we ask you to please plan ahead.
- During this period, you are encouraged to work as much as possible from home.
- All CEC employees will have access to one office to share. The flexoffice Mikroben (A254) will have eight desks and is located on the 2nd floor. Four of the desks are bookable through Time Edit. More information on bookings below.
- All CEC employees will also have access to two rooms in Tundran, Renlaven (T108, small grouproom) and Raggmossan (T109, classroom with videoconferencing equipment). These rooms are to be used primarily for those in need of a separate room for an online, hybrid or in person meeting, and else if you are in need of working undisturbed. They are also bookable through Time Edit, more information on bookings below.
- It will be possible to enter your office or storage room to collect or leave things, but you are not allowed to work there. There will be more information later, on how and when you could be given access.
- As the offices will be closed, the meeting rooms in the same part of the building will also be closed, including Fagus and our small meeting room by the elevator. There is more information on booking of rooms with video conference equipment below.
- You will be able to use any online printer in the building, and there will be office supplies available in Mikroben.
- The lunchrooms on floors 2 and 3 will stay open.
- The west entrance and the loading intake in the basement will be closed, and the main entrance from Sölvegatan will remain open for both entrance and goods.
- It is your own responsibility to check your physical mail delivered or ask a colleague to do it for you. The mailboxes on floor 3 will be accessible, and those on floor 1 and 2 will be moved to a room close to the main entrance.
- Those of you who need to use a lab will be given access to part of the lab “Mossen Väster” (B140 Tuvan), contact Yann for more info.
- If you have plants in your office, please bring them home. If that is not possible, you could put them in one of the lunchrooms, but it is your own responsibility to see to that they are given water.
- We will give you more updates along the way, but please also read any information from the Facility manager Henrik Wendel.
- If you have any questions, please contact your line manager.
Bookings of rooms and desks in June - August 2022
Booking of desks in the flex office
Currently, the CEC Flex office is in floor 3, but will be moved to Mikroben (A254) on May 12-13. Any bookings made for the current flex office will be valid for Mikroben instead from May 14, and the same table specifications will be used for Mikroben (BCE:D341 Flex Bord 1-4). Mikroben is located in the opposite end of the building, close to the elevator on the 2nd floor. During the shift of flex office on May 12-13 no desks will be available.
Four desks out of eight in the flex office are bookable through TimeEdit using your Lucat-id, link below. You will find the desks in TimeEdit by searching for Ekologihuset in the “building” search bar and in the “rooms” search bar you can just type "flex" and the desks will appear (named BCE:D341 Flex Bord 1-4). You can make a reservation for yourself, or a guest. If you or your guest wish to book for more than a week, please contact your line manager. If you experience issues accessing TimeEdit please ask Lena Söderberg lena [dot] soderberg [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se for assistance.
Booking of rooms in Tundran
The rooms in Tundran available to CEC from June 1st are Renlaven (T108, a smaller meetingroom) and Raggmossan (T109, a classroom with videoconferencing equipment). These rooms are to be used primarily for those in need of a separate room for an online, hybrid or in person meeting, and else if you are in need of working undisturbed. You can book for some hours or for a day at a time, if you need to book for longer period, please contact your line manager. The rooms are bookable through TimeEdit using your Lucat-id, link below. If you experience issues accessing TimeEdit please ask Lena Söderberg lena [dot] soderberg [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se for assistance.
Booking of rooms with videoconference equipment
If you need to use video conference equipment the rooms available in the Ecology building are:
Stora konferensrummet (A120) and Raggmossan (T109) in Tundran and you can book them yourself using TimeEdit. Blå hallen and Röda rummet can be booked by Lena Söderberg or Annika Malmgren Widerberg. All other rooms with video equipment will be closed.
In the Biology building there is one room equipped for video conferencing, Synpunkten (B-B327). It can be booked by Lena Söderberg or Annika Malmgren Widerberg.
TimeEdit online booking system
Cheerful news in the corridors
Viiktoria Meklesh, formerly with CEC has co-authored an article featured on the online platform Frontiers called Characterization of the Colloidal Properties of Dissolved Organic Matter From Forest Soils. The project is funded partly by BECC. The article is attached.
Read the article - frontiersin.org
Let our communications manager Anna-Maria know about your field work.
Will you do any fieldwork this spring or summer? Please send a brief e-mail to anna_maria [dot] erling [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se with information about:
- When are you doing it? (approximately)
- Where is it taking place?
- What are you going to investigate/which research project is your fieldwork related to?
The purpose is to find opportunities for media outreach.
Participate in Låna en forskare 2022 (Borrow a scientist).
Register yourself or someone else and share your experiences and your work as a researcher at Lund University with schools and workplaces around Sweden.
Låna en Forskare - Anmäl forskare – ForskarFredag.se
Biodiveristy walk at Marint Centrum, Simrishamn ( Tommarpsån vandring) – 24 May at 14:00 to 19:00
As a part of Hönöbuktsveckan 21 – 28 May, Marint Centrum and Lund University arranges a biodiversity walk to explore marine life in the area. An invitation with more information is attached. If you want to contribute to Hönöbuksveckan, please follow the instructions in the links. This event is held in Swedish.
Hönöbuktsveckan – samverkanhanobukten.org
Var med i Hönöuktsveckan - samverkanhanobukten.org
We’re hiring, please spread the word!
Kommunikatör vid Centrum för miljö- och klimatvetenskap (varbi.com)
Administrative team away Tuesday, 10 May
Karin, Lena, Eva, Madelene, Rebecca and Camilla will have a planning day away from the office on 10 May. You will be able to reach them again the following day.
For your email signature or presentation
If you want to add a short description about CEC to your email signature or presentation, please use this short version:
”A forum of interdisciplinary research, education and interaction between research and society in the field of the environment and climate, for a sustainable development.”
”Ett forum för tvärvetenskaplig forskning, utbildning och samverkan inom miljö- och klimatområdet, för en hållbar utveckling.”
CEC Friday management information and breakfast
Friday, 6 May at 10:15 (breakfast from 9:45) in Kitchen on level 3 or on Teams.
Lab and Field Safety course – Tuesday, 10 May at 10:00.
The safety course will be held by Helene Bracht Jörgensen and will take place at the Ecology building, in the kitchen on level 3. It is mandatory to do the course before carrying out any lab- or fieldwork. Line managers and field work supervisors are to make sure their staff taking the course.
Seminar on wild pollinators – 25 May at 8:30 to 9:30
Well-managed road verges can be a relatively simple, and resource-saving, conservation measure to benefit wild pollinators, and biodiversity in general, in a landscape. But how should this management look like to achieve the best possible effect? At this seminar, Sofia Blomqvist, doctoral student at the Center for Environmental and Climate Science and Johan Rydlöv, national coordinator for biodiversity and landscape issues at the Swedish Transport Administration, will talk about an ongoing research project that aims to answer this question. This event is held in Swedish.
How can we better use road verges to benefit wild pollinators in the landscape? | Centre for Environmental and Climate Science (CEC) (lu.se)
Joint PhD seminars on environmental challenges – 7 June at 15:00 to 16:00
Welcome PhD and advanced master-level students to register to attend the next Joint PhD seminar on environmental challenges! Three PhD candidates will present on the topic “Bringing stakeholders in: Supporting society in climate adaptation strategies as part of the PhD project”. The seminar is online via Zoom, 15.00-16:00.
Joint PhD seminars on environmental challenges | Centre for Environmental and Climate Science (CEC) (lu.se)
Register and save the event to your calendar (CEC) (lu.se)
Researchers’ night – 30 September to 1 October
Welcome to present your research and/or attend the Science Slam in Vattenhallen during Researchers ‘Night. Register your participation via email to stefan [dot] zamudio [at] vattenhallen [dot] lu [dot] se before 6September and please also tell us if you want to participate in Science Slam.
Pictures and videos during your time at CEC – GDPR
During your time at CEC there will be pictures taken and videos shot at staff meetings etc. If you do not wish to appear in photos, videos etc. please notify anna_maria [dot] erling [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se () orstina [dot] johannesson [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se ()Information about data protection at Lund University – lu.se
About the newsletter
The CEC newsletter is sent to employees and those that are associated with CEC. The newsletter is sent out on Thursdays every second week. If you have anything you would like to add to the newsletter, please send your information to karin [dot] hofvendahl [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se () no later than Tuesday the same week.