About the project
Within the project, participating researchers aim to identify factors that are currently limiting the expansion of organic farming in Sweden, and to understand how these factors are moderated by ecological and agronomic properties of the landscape. In addition to this, the aim is to formulate means to overcome the identified constraints through ecological intensification of farming practices, better design of agri-environment schemes, and stimulation of the consumption of organically produced goods. The project started in December 2018 and will run until the end of 2022.
The project consists of four subprojects, which will combine to address the overarching objectives:
- To understand the underlying causes of variation in the uptake of organic farming in relation to landscape and farm characteristics, to allow predictive modelling of its uptake under alternative policies.
- To quantify and understand reasons for spatio-temporal variation in yield differentials of organic compared to conventional farming, with a focus on the role of nutrient supply, weeds and arthropod pests, and the role of crop choice and rotation, as well as potential remedies.
- To understand socio-ecological links between organic and neighbouring farms and implications for the possibilities to expand organic farming in areas where it is rare today.
- To synthesize the gained knowledge using ecological-economic analyses to predict consequences for uptake and environmental benefits of organic farming under different demands for organic products and alternative formulations of the CAP.
Centre for Environmental and Climate Science (CEC)
+46 709 78 20 56
+46 46 222 93 79
henrik [dot] smith [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
- Göran Bergkvist – slu.se
- Mark Brady – agrifood.se
- Romain Carrié (CEC)
- Pierre Chopin – slu.se
- Yann Clough (CEC)
- Sigrun Dahlin – slu.se
- Johan Ekroos (CEC)
- Christian Jörgensen – agrifood.se
- Melanie Karlsson (CEC)
- Martin Nordin – agrifood.se
- Rafaelle Reumaux - slu.se
- Christine Watson - slu.se
- Johanna Wetterlind - slu.se
- Ingrid Öborn – slu.se