What to do in case of fire at work
You must know in advance what to do if fire breaks out in the building/buildings where you work. To find out, do this:
Go out into the corridor and carefully study the Evacuation Plan available there. The evacuation plan will have information about:
- Firefighting equipment and alarm buttons. All firefighting equipment is indicated with red signs along the corridors.
- Escape exits, follow the green signs with arrows. Do not use smoke-filled pathways.
- Assembly point. The assembly point for the Ecology building is by the wind tunnel building on the left side, not by the main entrance. At the measuring stations Hyltemossa and Norunda the assembly points are outside the buildings.
In the corridors, you will find red boxes on the walls with alarm buttons and green instruction signs underneath. This is the simplest and quickest way to alert the building of a fire: Lift the lid and press the button. This will make the evacuation alarm automatically go off in the entire building and alert the fire department.
Also, learn what the situation is like in other areas of the building where you work, or in the neighbouring buildings. Think about how, in an emergency, you can help people who are not informed about the local procedures (such as students or visiting researchers).
For any questions, please contact your health and safety representatives.
In case of fire or other hazard
- Save people who are in danger.
- Alert the emergency services. Let them know where the fire is, if there are any people trapped inside, what happened, and who is calling.
- Warn people who are at risk.
- Extinguish the fire if possible without risking your own safety. Shut all doors to the unit (some fire doors will shut automatically).
- Evacuate in a calm manner according to the evacuation plan. Go to the assembly point. Do not use the lift.
You can expect a fire safety drill to make sure the information has been received. These exercises must be taken seriously. If the fire alarm goes off, follow the above mentioned rules, regardless of why the alarm went off. Remain at the assembly point until the emergency service has given you the go ahead.
Contact work environment
Responsible for the work environment, Director
henrik [dot] smith [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 46 222 93 79
karin [dot] hofvendahl [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 46 222 97 96
Health and safety representative
Niklas Boke Olén
niklas [dot] boke_olen [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 46 222 89 69
Health and safety representative, substitute
wilhelm [dot] may [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 46 222 01 20